Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Saige


I dislike clutter! My kids & husband know this about me. They hate that I throw "everything" away. I have a bad habit of looking at their schoolwork in front of them, complimenting them on their nice work, and then throwing it away. The sad thing is, I'm repeating the same thing that my dad used to do to me, to them, something that I also disliked as a kid.

Yesterday Saige noticed that I didn't throw a piece of her schoolwork away.
She said, "Mom, I can't believe you didn't throw this away!!!"
I commented, "Saige, I didn't have the heart, your drawings were too cute."
She then turned to Caprice and excitedly said, "Caprice, you won't believe this, Mom didn't have the guts (heart) to throw this away!!"

I feel so bad that my poor kids have anxiety over whether or not their work is noteworthy of keeping. I always tell them that I love their work, but I just can't keep everything.

Saige brought home today, a similar piece of schoolwork with cute drawings on it, and brought it to me to say, "Mom, is this too cute to throw away?"

Saige has always been quite the writer/artist. She used to write books as a little girl. She has probably written over 50 little books. And believe it or not, I have kept the majority of them- because I didn't have the heart to throw them away either!!

I think maybe I've given my kids a complex!

No comments: