This morning started out ordinary and then turned rough... I woke up feeling sickly (as I have every morning since I got this stupid cold, that doesn't seem to be going away), got Remy her morning chocolate milk, got the kids up to get dressed for school, started making eggs for breakfast, etc... This is where it turned rough... Caprice was upset because her necklace got tangled up, so she blamed Beckhem and Remy, whom both became angry and defensive for being blamed. So, I sent her to her room, and told her to come out when she changed her attitude. I then helped a demanding Remy fill up a measuring cup with water, so she could pour it in her fake blender, in which i managed to spill the whole cup of water, on the fresh pair of pants i had just dressed her in. So she went bawling out of the kitchen, and then Bens walked down the stairs, and commented how "he never remembers any of our other kids crying as much as Remy does"... So, after sending Remy to her room to calm down, and getting mad at Bens for being negative, I went up to my bed and started crying (i'm apparantly really emotional when i'm sick).
Then I remembered the lesson that I gave for FHE last night, which definitely applied to what i was feeling at that moment.
It was on "choices" and how we can choose how to react to a situation. Nobody makes us be angry, we choose to be angry. I challenged the kids to try to handle situtations (that might make them angry), in a better way, hence, keeping peace in our home.
I choose at that moment to become positive and happy, and not to let this affect my mood the rest of the day. I then jumped on my spin bike in the basement and worked off all the anxiety I was feeling.
Do you remember the old saying, "when mama ain't happy, nobody's happy?" Well, I was proud of myself for not letting myself become that "mama", atleast not on this day.
The above picture brings a smile to my face. ( I made my kids pose for me while i took some old-fashioned-looking photos of them. They didn't want to, but it was my birthday, and I said that's all i wanted from them for my birthday, it actually worked!)

4 comments:
Love the picture. What a great birthday present. Are you asking for this every year? I would. How can I get you out here to visit? I miss you guys. Maybe you could take my kids picture OR say visiting me is all you want for your birthday!!! You'll probably get a game anyway, so you might as well ask, right?!?! Love you lots, even if you can't come!
p.s. That does sound like a hard morning even if you weren't sick. It's so hard when we feel the need to explain our kids behaviors. Some days are just like that I guess.
Ahhhhh....good for you turning things around and good for you exercising even when you're sick! You're the Whoa-man!
PS You're all blog crazy now! Good for you! Just think of all the good stuff you've already documented!
Post a Comment